- 5-6 lb. pork shoulder/pork butt
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- Place onion on the bottom of your slow cooker. Place pork shoulder, trimmed of any obvious excess fat, into slow cooker on top of onions.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients to form the barbecue sauce. Feel free to adjust salt and pepper to taste, if necessary. Pour half of the sauce over the pork and cover. Set remaining sauce aside.
- Cook over low heat for about 8 hours (or according to your slow cooker’s presets).
- Remove pork to a large bowl and shred with two forks. Transfer meat back into slow cooker and cook for a few more minutes, until meat has soaked up the sauce. Pulled pork can be held on the “warm” setting in the slow cooker for serving.
- Serve on soft sandwich rolls, topped with extra barbecue sauce.
Search, share, and cook your recipes on Mac OS X with SousChef!