Yesterday my MacBook Pro wouldn’t load my user account. It just got stuck at this screen for about half an hour before crashing…
After rebooting and attempting to login again, the same thing happened, except this time my profile eventually loaded and I was greeted with these rapid-fire messages…
Notice the “login” keychain has a dotted line around it and contains no entries? After a bit of research on my phone (because the MacBook was pretty much unusable) I learned that this was likely due to a corrupt login keychain in Keychain Access.app
The steps to fix this are as follows:
- Using spotlight, open keychain access.
- Go to the Keychain Access Preferences.
- Click the First Aid tab and check Synchronize login keychain password with account.
- Go to the Keychain First Aid in the Keychain Access menu.
- Enter your username and password.
- Select the “Repair” and click the start button.
Now in my case, my login was so corrupted that a repair could not be done, so it renamed the keychain to get it out of the way. I ran the last step again and it created a new login keychain for me.
After this there was a lot of passwords to be entered into my Internet Accounts and various applications but it’s nothing I could overcome in an hour or so.